Windows has got a folder which is known as WinSxS for storing the files which are required for the installation of the Windows. The stored files can also be used for backups and updates to those files. However with each update the size of the WinSxS folder increases and you need to clean it up from the unnecessary files and regain the hard drive space.In WinSxS folder you can not delete all the files as there are precious files which are needed for running and updating the Windows reliably. From Windows 7 onwards there is a built-in Disk Cleanup tool for deleting the older versions of Windows updates which are no longer required. You ca also learn about Enabling and Disabling The Tablet Mode in Windows 10.
Deleting Older Updates from WinSxS Folder by Disk Cleanup
- 1st of all open Disk Clean Tool. For opening the tool type “disk cleanup” in the taskbar and then clicking “Disk Cleanup.”
- Now click the Cleanup System Files button.
- Now you have to check the box located next to Windows Update Cleanup.
- Now click on OK. Now if you dont see Windows Update Cleanup option in Disk Cleanup it means there are no files to delete.
Cleaning Win SxS Folder by Using Command Prompt.
- In order to clean WinSxS folder with the use of Command Prompt follow these steps.
- Launch the command prompt with the Admin priviledges.
- Now Enter the Command: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup.
- Now if recommended clean up the folder by using the following command in the Command prompt: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup.
With this command the cleanup process will start and it may take some time.